Weather in Greenville and Washington, DC (Field Seminar)

Mid May is beautiful spring time in both Greenville, North Carolina and Washington, DC. Many sunny days with a few cloudy/rain days are expected.

In Greenville, NC, the average high temperature in May is 80F/27C and the average low temperature is 58F/14C. The climate of Washington, DC is quite similar.

Please note, while walking outside in May is very pleasant, the temperature in the morning and evening might still be chilly. In addition, air conditioning is running inside most buildings. Therefore, it is highly advised that you bring a sweater or a light jacket.


If you plan to bring cash, please exchange your currency to USD prior to arriving in Greenville. Greenville is a small city with no currency exchange. No local banks in Greenville exchange foreign currency on demand. There are currency exchange booths at the airport.

Payment Options for Purchase

  • If you plan to use cash, you need to use US dollars.
  • ATM machines are readily available throughout Greenville. Most ATM machines can accept cards with the VISA/Plus and/or Mastercard/Cirrus logos. Check with your local bank to see what their policies and fees are for using your card abroad. Locally, banks may also charge a fee for the use of their ATM (it varies by bank).
  • VISA and Mastercard, and to a lesser extent, Discover and American Express can be used practically anywhere. If you plan to use credit cards, please check with your credit card issuer regarding policies and fees.

Electricity and Electronic Devices

In the USA, household power is supplied with 110 voltage and 60Hz. Please see the websites below for the types of power plugs.

If you plan to bring electronic equipment to the USA, such as laptops and phone chargers, please check and make sure they can operate under 110V. Many modern laptop power supply units now support 100-240V and 50-60Hz.

If your electronic devices only operate at 220V, you will need to bring a transformer or converter to convert 110V to 220V.

Two useful websites about the electrical power used in USA

Things to Bring with You

During the conference, you will stay in university housing. Linens and towels are provided, however, you should bring your own toiletries (shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc.) and hair dryer.

If you decide to bring your own hair dryer and/or flat/curling iron, please check if they support dual voltage (110V and 220V). You should bring a converter if they only work under 220V. In this case, you need to make sure the converter works with hair dryer and iron, because they usually require much higher wattage than smaller devices, for example, smartphones. An alternative would be to purchase an inexpensive hairdryer once you are in the US.

Phone Usage

If the service plan of your mobile phone includes international calling service, you should be able to use your phone immediately when you land in USA. Both GSM and CDMA technologies are used in USA, you should have no difficulty connecting to a service.

Alternatively, you may consider purchasing a pre-paid SIM card with some service plan. There are many options of service plans. You can find SIM vendors in airports or you can purchase one in Greenville.

You can visit the website for more information: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-c196160/United-States:Mobile.Phone.Service.For.Visiting.The.Us.html

Please e-mail GPEinfo@ecu.edu with any questions.